Tuesday, August 26, 2008

He watched me last night with a curious look in his eyes, as i rocked her, my little borrowed miracle to sleep in my lap. She'd fought slumber all day in that tenacious little way she has about her, and as she finally succumbed in those late hours of the night, and we rocked together in a quiet happy bliss he watched us from across the room. I've never seen that look in his eyes, and i wonder what was behind it.

I suspect its a thousand dreams that may or may not ever come true, his dreams for me, flashing behind his tired eyes, mixing with love for the beautiful little precious bundle whose eyelids slowly lose the battle against sleep.

i had my beautiful blonde headed boy once, whom i nestled in my arms and i loved with all my heart....and then years later for a brief time i fell in love with another child i would have given everything to. i have missed my little princes - and my heart is full with the knowledge that somewhere in the world they are hopefully healthy and happy and maybe they remember just a little how much i love them, how much i always will.

As for children of my own...that's a story yet to be written and perhaps a page always to remain blank, i do not know if the fates will ever be kind, or even if such remains a true possibility given certain medical history. For now i'll simply be content with the amazing little gifts i've been given in my life. i've been privileged to know the gift of being called mom, and though i ache at times for that feeling once again.... well, maybe someday....an answer that doesn't satiate two anxious parents who long for more grandchildren and a settled married life for their daughter.

I wish at times i could be simpler, that i could settle down and be the daughter they pictured in their dreams........when i was a little girl bouncing on his knee long ago.

4 comments:

trin said...

Oh my... I'm so glad to find you here, syll. It's where I post and then hide the things that I can't have anyone reading. What is it about writing and hitting "publish" that is just so incredibly cathartic? Maybe because then it's a record that we can't turn away from. I don't know.

It's 2:45 AM where I am... Ony "Skygrey" once told me that she'll think of 3AM as the "Trinity Hour" and that instantly made me feel much better about my restless hour. It's crazy and wonderful how an offhand comment from a friend can have such impact, isn't it?

And oh Syllie... I think so much about children. The other serendipitous factor in finding you tonight (besides the sheer smile it put on my face - I get to read and know you better) is that it is a belly rubbing kind of night for me. I want to know what that feels like... I so yearn to know what it feels like to have a precious little life in there. And I want to give my parents grandchildren too. Some nights I just give in to dreaming and yearning.

And I know all about not giving your parents what they... thought they had. What they want for us.

"As for children of my own..." - I know you know what I'm going to say here and that's that those boys you mentioned above? They were your own. And I also know just what you mean.

I'm so glad to find you here.

Much love to you tonight, my friend. I hope you're sleeping sweet.

trin said...

They were your own and they are your own.

trin said...

P.S. Of course I've read all of Richard Bach. "Running From Safety" has so many appealing thoughts.

syllista said...

i'm glad you found me here sweet trin - i write here about the quiet things that are just a bit too personal for anywhere else...but no, not for you.

5am tends to be my hour - which most mornings i like - i see a lot of sunrises. I get up and walk - though that was a lot warmer a few months ago! I like the idea of the Trinity Hour....though i hate the idea of you so restless my darling....

I can only imagine you as a mother, the images give me that tingly beautiful feeling inside...like warm butterscotch. Some things are just supposed to be love....

Someday i'm gonna rub your tummy too...k?

Sleep well tonight trin, and visit often.